According to the EPA, indoor air is roughly 3-times more polluted than outdoor air and is considered to be one of the top 5 hazards to human health. Considering that traditional paints out-gas, emitting low-level toxins into the air for literally years after application, it is important to consider the benefits of eco-friendly paints as an alternative to traditional latex paint for interior walls.
Previously hard to find and pricey, low- and no-VOC paints are now routinely produced by the most paint manufacturers. The following list summarizes all you need to know about eco-friendly wall paint.
- Today’s eco-friendly paints are durable and are available in a wide variety of colors. In general, they perform well in terms of coverage and hiding imperfections, and most are scrub-able.
- They are water-based, which means clean-up is as easy as soap and warm water.
- Reduced toxins are good for everybody, but especially for those with allergies or chemical sensitivities. Eco-friendly paints contain little or no hazardous fumes and once cured, produce no odor and no out-gassing.
- Because they are not considered hazardous waste, disposal is easier than disposing of traditional paints.
- Since they contain few or no toxins, they do not leach into ground water or out-gas into the atmosphere, making them easier on the larger environment as well!
Thanks to advances in the industry resulting in a wider variety of colors and lower prices, eco-friendly paints are now a realistic option when considering interior painting. For more information on this and more, contact us!